September 19, 2013
I just did the iOS7 upgrade on my iPad and it looks like crap. Steve Jobs would be throwing people off of the roof of Apple corporate HQ if he saw what was going on.
Reasons iOS7 sucks:
1) The new look is cheesy and appears incomplete. It looks like an early version of a Java GUI to me. Maybe early X Windows at best.
2) It’s not shaded with nice colors or gradients. It hurts my eyes looking at how bright it is. The icons look like a grade schooler made them.
3) The 3D look and textures that some wanted to move away from is what Apple was known for doing. The buzzword is skeuomorphism and relates to a computer interface having properties of physical world things around us. I get it that there isn’t a need to emulate everything about a physical device on a computer. For instance, I generally don’t like turning fake “knobs” on an interface. But that doesn’t mean the entire concept is bad. It’s only bad when it is done beyond practical for a computing platform. Steve Jobs started using 3D texture and looks since NeXTSTEP days over 20 years ago. Why is it now so passé? Strange how a concept that some are saying is no good could lead a company to dominate the market. It wasn’t broke, so why fix it?
4) The keyboard looks like flat white garbage.
5) The browser icons are lame line drawings. It looks like a prototype. A bad prototype. Did an early mock-up release get into the code tree by mistake?
6) It has big colored flat boxes for deleting e-mail, etc. It looks like badly rendered HTML and very unrefined. I feel like I was back in 1997 when using it. What exactly was wrong with a nicely rounded and textured button for these tasks that it used to have?
7) They reduced the GUI to Android or Microsoft Surface look and feel. And since I’m convinced the Android GUI was designed in the former Soviet Union, that’s not a good direction. The differentiation is vanishing between the products now. If they all look the same and have largely the same function, why not just switch to the cheaper platform?
I could go on, but you get the idea. Whatever new features they put in here are totally wasted on the hideous look of the thing. My fear at this point is they will do the same thing to their main computer GUI on OS X. I wish I could undo the update, but I’m afraid I’m in for the ride at this point.
Stay away from iOS7 as long as you are able.